Johns Hopkins University Clinical Social Worker in Columbia, Maryland
Status: Casual / On Call
School: School of Medicine
Location: JH at Howard County Hospital
Location City: Columbia
Location State: MD
The Clinical Social Worker (CSW) provides services and continuity of care to clients/patients seen in the Howard County General Hospital Emergency Department. The CSW works with the multi-disciplinary team in the Emergency Department to provide quality psychiatric services, and obtains all insurance authorizations necessary to treat patients.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Responds in timely manner to requests from the Emergency Department Physician for Psychiatric Consultations.
• Performs psychiatric assessments, formulates diagnosis, and in consultation with referring Physician recommends and completes appropriate disposition.
• Discusses case with Attending Physician to determine if the patient has been medically cleared, and determines cause of consultation.
• Provides Physicians with results of assessments and disposition plans.
• Reviews charts and obtains all insurance authorizations necessary before providing service to patient.
• Contacts necessary insurance providers and obtains authorizations needed to complete disposition.
• Interviews patients and performs psycho-social assessments, mental status examinations, and collects psychiatric histories.
• Contacts family or any collateral informants necessary to provide information necessary to complete an assessment.
• Formulates an appropriate treatment/disposition plan for patient.
• Develops knowledge base of Mental Health Service System necessary to makes the most appropriate clinical disposition.
• Assures that all appropriate documentation is completed according to standards to carry out treatment/disposition plan.
• Completes all contacts necessary to arrange for appropriate disposition of case, and independently resolves problems with complicated dispositions.
• Provides appropriate sign out- either verbally or written-on clinical disposition status of patients to next shift staff member.
• Attends all staff meetings and administrative meetings as assigned.
• Provides documentation of all clinical and nonclinical activities.
• Charts are above 85% complete at chart reviews.
Master’s degree from a program accredited by the Council on Social Work and two (2) or more years’ experience. Licensed as an LCSW-C.
Emergency room experience.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Johns Hopkins University is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other occupationally irrelevant criteria. The university promotes affirmative action for minorities, women, disabled persons, and veterans.